I wrote this one year ago. I wanted to write a mission statement. And instead of that, I ended up writing a statement of values. Here we go !!
"I am not a management graduate. I have never written a mission statement before or never googled on the format of a killing statement. Yet I believe, for what it is worth, I have something to say. I want to try to tell the world that, it is time to have a higher standard. Not just professionally, but by all means, by all depths, in personal and social life.
A wise lady once told me, “Always have time to jump ahead in your life to the very last and look at the very situation you are in, at the moment. If you laugh, then it is funny, if you cry, it is beautiful. If you want to come back and change it, then you know what to do. ” Well, I guess the point is, ‘having no regrets’ at the end. And being content for the moment. Life is too small to be afraid of anything. Too small to push, things that you want to do now, for later.
Having said that, what we want to do, solely depend on what we want to be. And in my opinion it is impossible to define the mission of an organization, until we do it for a human being. For all of his/her roles in life. We have done enough sleep-walking already. Now it is time for us to raise the bar to a level which could re-define history. Let’s be extraordinary.
We are going to spend quite a good part of our life, at our profession. Doing our jobs. Chiselling our skills, learning new technologies, managing people, inspiring them to perform better. The only way we can be happy at our work life, is by doing your job the way you want to do it. Only when the complete infrastructure is available to you to do the work, but with enough freedom to actually do it. When you have the freedom to be creative, and be different and innovative.
The duty of an iDuple Citizen, for his own sake, is to be free and creative. Everyday life is going to be extremely fulfilling, if you engage in building something that has never existed before.
No matter how independent we can or want to work, we are all part of one team. And as with all teams, we are going to have to interact with our colleagues on a day-to-day basis. I would not support the idea of, having a particular behaviour inside the organisation and a different one outside. Our attitude towards others must show what we essentially are. And that must derive from our sense of freedom and compassion and definitely guided by our conscience.
Our definitions for freedom and equality are clouded by the assumptions that are imposed upon us by our culture and environments. For a moment, just imagine that we are born again, and are now allowed to choose everything that has a choice. I sincerely believe that, most of us would go with Buddhism for a religion, democracy for a political inclination and most of them would favour equality across race and sex. Our religious beliefs would be based on love for another human being, and political inclination based on respecting the choice of the masses. We would not even think for a moment that, just because someone’s colour is different, he/she should be deprived their freedom. We would not imagine that she being a woman would give us the right to take advantage of her. Let our conscience govern our actions.
The world is still a mess. There are still lots and lots of things to be completed. Lots of unfinished business. Lets choose not to ignore it. Lets help cleaning up the mess. Even if it might mean, educating every single child in a fantastic way and cleaning up every inner street. Just the way we are responsible for our family, let’s be responsible for the world.
I would say, we can tell a lot about a person, by simply studying how one is with his/her friends. High standards in personal life, would, really mean, as they say ‘running the extra mile’, for your friend or someone you really care about. The friendship that we are used to, probably doesn’t mean, jumping into the fire to save him/her. That is simply too unrealistic. [My apologies to the exceptions]. For what it is worth, I definitely hate the tone of this statement. But having said that, it is also not probable to face the above situation in our lifetime. Let’s give ourselves the benefit of the doubt. Most of the times, we happen to be there for our friends by accident, when they really need us. Let’s change that. Let’s watch over our friends. Let’s ask if they are comfortable and happy. Let’s ask if we could walk with them. Let’s put a conscious effort to make them feel special. Let’s make them laugh.
May be it is too early to talk about families. But I have always wondered about the magical power of marriage. Although it seems too easy for anyone to get married in this world, one question always bothered me. How can I possibly convince someone, to spend rest of her life with me? I could be the greatest man in the world. But against what I am asking for, everything seems so small. And I cannot imagine the responsibility that would bring upon me. No matter how much you do, it is never going to be enough. This goes with everyone in this world. We are all so busy asking, expecting things from each other. For a change, why don’t we think of things we can give?
It probably is 'Winter' out there. But with the words that we speak, with the faces that we show, and with the actions that we do, let's make it a 'Beautiful Spring'.
No comments:
Post a Comment