Monday, August 4, 2008

Dreams ….. Sir……I sell …dreams

Entrepreneurial-ship is hard. I had found out that in two weeks.[or was that too late ?]. My huge ego was completely shattered. I had always found it difficult to motivate people to work on something that I believed was right. But when I had a job, I guess, I had some credibility. Now, unemployed, it is near impossible to make anyone understand that I am right. [may be I should start calling myself an entrepreneur- it might boost my confidence a littleJ] It is very character building, though.

While I was in the process of deciding to quit my job and start ‘selling dreams’, my brother was kind of ‘getting engaged to get engaged’. And in the same call when I told him I would be leaving my job soon, he explained to me how he approached his would-be father-in-law, asking for her[She is from Indore by the way]. That is uncharted water. Much much riskier, I would say. In that very phone conversation, he was recruiting me to talk to our parents [I realized his strategy very lateJ]. I was so excited and privileged to present the unthinkable to my dad. How I did that, probably is worth another story. [Come back to this Blog in a few days J ]

Well, anyway, back to the track. He told me, that it is very much possible that I end up like him. I always had fantasies of having a girlfriend, or rather winning a girlfriend, from extreme adversities. And I have no idea why. I have imagined myself proposing to a girl a thousand times, and she rejecting me all the thousand times. But she would finally say yes. [That’s the whole point right?]. Then the next set of challenges. Family opposition, opposition from society etc. etc. Finally I will emerge as the winner [somehow], convincing everyone that I am right. And then a boring married life.

My brother asked me to imagine how would it be like if something like that happened. And that, now it is time for me to go to her father. By then I would have resigned my job. The company is completely in bad shape. No income. About to get bankrupt. And I am going to her father. Wow. This got to be it. Now I am in my father-in-laws’[Would-be] drawing room, possibly commenting on the furniture. I am a stupid liar too. I would even make up stories like, “you know, that sculpture on the right-top has great significance in Japanese Zen Culture”. Whatever. And then after the coffee is served, my business pitch will start.”Sir, I am here today to talk about something very important. To both of us.” I will take a pause and zip the coffee again, measuring his patience. I wouldn’t say a word until he asks what it is. Now I would lean forward and say “I am here to ask your daughters’ hand in marriage” “BAAANG!!!!”.

Hoping for the best, I am assuming that, he is extremely professional and sophisticated, and very much impressed by my candid nature and courage. But it is his daughter. He cannot show that he is impressed. Now its time for him to ask questions.

“So you are here with a marriage proposal”

“Yes Sir” [My courage quota for that day is over – Only yes or no answers]

“Hmm….. What do you do for a living, by the way?”

“I am a business man sir “

“Really.. I thought you were a high school student”

[I really would want to say “I take that as a compliment. But I am older than I look”. But I am sure that, I would not be able to utter a single word]

“hmmm….so what is your business Mister… what do you sell”

“I sell dreams …Sir” [I am dead]

“You sell ..what…. ?”

“Dreams ….. Sir……I sell …dreams”

Disclaimer: Readers are NOT allowed to use their imagination any further.

1 comment:

Madhu said...

Hey, did u find someone...?

Which topic do you like the most ?